Sunday, November 10, 2013

Keeping your head above water...

As teachers, I think we spend a lot of time just trying to keep our heads above water.  New materials to learn, meetings to attend, papers to grade, the work never ends.  Often, I avoid these tasks and peruse the web or books in search of new innovative teaching ideas.  One idea that caught my attention was the "flipped classroom".  I watched videos by Katie Gimball and read The Flipped Classroom by Bergman and Sams.  I knew that I was struggling in math to meet the needs of a large class with very diverse learners, and this idea seemed like it might be worth a try.  Much of the research I looked at was for high school and college age learners, so I wasn't sure about using this structure at the elementary school level.   After talking with my colleagues, we decided that this was the route for us and we were ready to take the plunge.

No comments:

Post a Comment